Platinum, is more precious, and more enduring than gold. Platinum is a completely different metal, which is found naturally in the earth. It is relatively rare, about 35 times rarer than gold. It is truly a magical metal. Platinum is a metallic element with the atomic number 78 and the symbol Pt. On the periodic table of elements, it is found in Group 10 and in Period 6 between iridium and gold. It is referred to as a "transition metal." It is also one of the "platinum metals," along with iridium, osmium, palladium, rhodium, and ruthenium. Platinum is a malleable, ductile element. Described as grayish-white in color, its name comes from the Spanish platina, which means "little silver." Platinum is one of the so-called precious metals, along with gold and silver.
Platinum jewelry is made from very pure platinum. As compared to gold, platinum falls between the 18-karat and 24-karat range, with 18 karat being approximately 75% pure and 24 karat being the purest. Since 18-karat jewelry is 75% pure, that means that the other 25% of the piece is an alloy, such as silver, zinc or copper. This simply means that platinum requires very little alloy to be combined with it in order to make platinum jewelry. Although many people many know platinum for its use in jewelry - which is how over 90 percent of it is used, platinum has a number of other uses. It is used in electroplating, as a catalyst in catalytic converters for automobiles, in the making of crucibles, in dental crowns, and - combined with cobalt - to make magnets.
Platinum is rare. Ten tons of platinum ore is required to process a single ounce of pure platinum. Platinum is very dense-60% more dense than Gold. A piece of jewelry made of Platinum is considerably heavier and stronger than its counterpart in Gold, therefore more expensive due to its bulk weight alone. The most important consideration is the labor factor in producing a finely finished piece of Platinum jewelry. Due to its density and unique working properties, it requires a highly skilled craftsman to create a quality piece of Platinum jewelry. The working environment must be absolutely pristine and free of other metal contaminants-requiring the platinumsmith to maintain a separate set of tools exclusively devoted to Platinum jewelry. Platinum is significantly more costly than the exact same ring style crafted in White Gold.